lunes, 11 de enero de 2010

Is it all about motivation when it comes to Distance learning?

I started this online course 2 months ago. I was very excited to be part of a great group of teachers and researchers. My aim is to creat a curriculum about Literature Circles for next semester. I like the subject, I got the computer skill I felt motivated BUT I found myself stuck and behind with the assigments. Besides all the activities in which I am involved in my personal life I thought that nothing would discourage me from working on this. What a greater motivation than working in such a ambitious project in a great university? But now two months later i feel very frustrated because I know I should have done thismuch better.

I think I have come to the conclusion that having the skill and motivation is an incomplete equation. There is one more element..this is DISCIPLINE. You can be very motivated to do something but there is no way you will do it if you don`t organize yourself. Without discipline motivation can be put down and the results won`t be the expected ones.

-lorena-

6 comentarios:

  1. This is great food for thought as you prepare yourself to be an online teacher. I am excited to see how this blog evolves as you design and deliver your online course.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Well, Lorena, you should feel happy that you are more technological, you have the skills, now you have to just organize yourself. In my case, I started from ZERO, ZERO, can you imagine? It´s been very, very hard to take time from my busy life to practice and practice and practice. Now I feel happier even though I am not proficient at all working with all these tools, but I know I will make it!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I was surprised when I heard you said that with all the teach tools and skills you and your group members have you had problems.
    That made me think that there are skills that do not depend on tech. Organizing a schedule to stay on line, read blogs, web pages, do research has been a challenge for me. I guess commitment and discipline goes hand by hand. I felt that I couldn´t fail this course sine I am interested in learning more alternatives to teach. So, putting together the fact that I needed a schedule to connect myself with others and being committed to it has helped me to start my skills for the future. I am sure you will be able to do it, too. I am sure that you will overcome all difficulties. Hang in there

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi -
    I agree discipline is as important as motivation. Do you think it will be possible to put Literature Circles online?

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I like your reflection. It is part of being accountable with ourselves and others. Once we realize what, how and why we do things, we start improving. I am sure you will do a good job. By the way, I love your wiki. It is so cool!

    On the other hand, I know it is hard hard to set a schedule and do everything we have to do. But I must say, "You made it, Lorena". Now stay on task!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I'd say motivation and discipline are two main components in distance education. However our students were born 'breathing technology' so online work is definitely a way how to motivate some classroom tasks like reading. I think the key is choosing the right technological tools. Blogging and social networks like Facebook are widely used among teens and younger adults (they're considered cool) so your instructional design could include the use of these components. Videos and music are also appealing elements. There are so many tools to choose from it's just a matter of compromising with your students, don't forget to hear them out. Good luck!

    ResponderEliminar